International Code Council
PDF (Portable Document Format)
The IFC contains regulations to safeguard life and property from fires and explosion hazards. Topics include general precautions, emergency planning and preparedness, fire department access and water supplies, automatic sprinkler systems, fire alarm systems, special hazards, and the storage and use of hazardous materials. For the most current adoptions details go to International Code Adoptions
Key changes to the IFC include:
- New provisions address hazards related to outdoor pallet storage, higher education laboratories, mobile food trucks and plant processing and extraction activities.
- Required sprinkler protection of Group E occupancies has been expanded through the introduction of a new thresholds related to fire areas.
- Manual fire alarm systems in Group A occupancies are now required not only when the occupant load is 300 or more but also where the occupant load exceeds 100 above or below the lowest level of exit discharge.
- A manual fire alarm system and an automatic smoke detection system are no longer required in Group R-4 occupancies.
- Mass Notification Requirements for college and university buildings have been added to the code.
- New provisions require illumination for the exit discharge path of travel to the public way or to a safe dispersal area for all occupancies.
- Sprinkler protection is now required in existing Group A-2 occupancies having an occupant load of 300 or more where alcoholic beverages are consumed.
- A new chapter has been added to address issues related to Energy Systems.
- Provisions have been added to address the hazards associated with outdoor assembly events, indoor trade shows and exhibitions.
- The fire watch requirements for construction and demolition activities have been enhanced.
- The provisions for the maintenance of fire and smoke protection features in Chapter 7 have been enhanced and reorganized.
- The applicability of the decorative materials requirements in Chapter 8 have been clarified.
- Integrated testing requirements for fire protection and life safety systems have been added for high rise buildings and smoke control systems.
- The requirements for gas detection systems have been revised throughout the code to be more reflective of industry practice.
ICC IFC-2018 - 2018 International Fire Code
Total Price: $89.97